The Saint Luke’s Chapel is a popular non-denominational wedding location, located in Charleston, SC at the corner of Ashley Avenue and Bee Street. Was originally part of a Federal arsenal built between 1825 and 1832 by the United States government. It was later obtained in 1879 by the Reverend Anthony Toomer Porter for the education of boys orphaned or left destitute by the Civil War. In 1883 Dr. Porter converted the artillery shed into a chapel. The building served Porter Academy students from 1883 to 1965.
The Medical College (now Medical University) of South Carolina took possession of the property at that time. The Chapel was rededicated on April 17, 1966, and renamed to honor the important biblical figure, St. Luke the Physician. In September of 1989, Hurricane Hugo severely damaged the building, and most of its contents were destroyed or made useless. The rebuilding of the chapel began as soon as possible, and it now meets modern standards of comfort and efficiency while retaining almost all of the building’s historical appearance. St. Luke’s Chapel was restored and rededicated on February 10, 1994, affirming MUSC’s commitment to Health care and health education as art with spiritual, ethical, emotional, and relational components. We’ve performed during many wedding ceremonies and concerts arranging string quartets, singers, guitarists, and pianists. Below you can watch our videos: